Experienced, diverse leadership will govern Chicago-based research and commercialization collaborative solving large-scale industrial challenges
CHICAGO (October 22, 2014) – UI LABS, a Chicago-based public-private research and commercialization collaborative, today announced its inaugural board of directors. The board brings together leaders from industry and academia to guide UI LABS as it develops a portfolio of applied research and commercialization programs to solve large-scale industrial challenges.
“The wealth of experience and the diversity of leadership brought by these individuals will propel UI LABS to make global connections among researchers and companies that can result in giant leaps forward for entire economic sectors,” said UI LABS board chairman Warren Holtsberg. “Our goals are to apply research to demonstrate and scale new technologies, create businesses and jobs, and provide a return on investment for our partners.”
The members of the UI LABS Board of Directors are (in alphabetical order):
• Henry S. Bienen – President Emeritus of Northwestern University
• Warren E. Holtsberg – Chairman of UI LABS, Co-Head of Portfolio Management, The Tokarz Group Advisers LLC and Member of the Board of Directors of MVC Capital, Inc.
• Eric D. Isaacs – Provost of The University of Chicago and Professor in the Department of Physics, the James Franck Institute, and the College, former Director of Argonne National Laboratory
• Douglas R. Oberhelman – Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer of Caterpillar Inc., and Chairman of the National Association of Manufacturers
• Roger L. Plummer – Retired Executive Vice President, International Engineering Consortium, Retired President and CEO, Ameritech Information Systems and Custom Business Services
• Lawrence B. Schook – Vice President for Research, University of Illinois, Professor of Animal Sciences, Bioengineering, Pathobiology, Nutritional Sciences, Pathology and Surgery
• Pamela B. Strobel – Retired Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer of Exelon Corporation and retired President of Exelon’s Business Services Company
• Patricia A. Woertz – Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer of Archer Daniels Midland Company
• Mike S. Zafirovski – Executive Advisor to Blackstone, Founder and President of The Zaf Group, former President and CEO of Nortel, President and COO of Motorola, President and CEO of five GE businesses
“Each member was deliberately chosen for their invaluable perspective on business, research and technology to solve global industrial challenges,” added Holtsberg.
Doug Oberhelman, Chairman and CEO of Caterpillar and UI LABS board member, is an active participant in UI LABS’ first program, the national Digital Manufacturing & Design Innovation Institute (DMDII). Oberhelman highlighted the scope of the nation’s industrial challenges and UI LABS’ unique position to address them in expressing his enthusiasm for joining its board.
“UI LABS is tapping into a vast network of local and regional talent to make industrial advances that have the potential to be national and even global in scale,” said Oberhelman. “UI LABS will tackle problems that no single company or lab can solve alone. I’m excited about working with the best minds in research and industry to address challenges that will help Caterpillar and other American companies enhance our competitiveness.”
UI LABS’ first program, DMDII, is revitalizing America’s manufacturing industries by helping U.S.
manufacturers harness data to make their products better, faster and cheaper. DMDII has brought together over 40 leading manufacturing and technology companies with more than 30 university, government and community partners. The $320M institute will help U.S. manufacturers increase their return on investment by making their production processes more efficient and agile through more effective use of data across every stage of the manufacturing process.